The average American household uses over 300 gallons of water a day, according to the EPA. But that number can inch up if you have water dripping from a leaky faucet. It can also cause your monthly bill to increase. Take a closer look to find out how much a leaky faucet costs actually costs.
How Much Do Leaky Faucets Cost?
A leaky faucet can increase your monthly water bill by 10%, or about $20. That is $240 every year that’s wasted. And it’s just with one leaky faucet. If you have multiple, those costs can be exacerbated.
Another factor is the speed of the leak. Is your faucet dripping slowly or fast? If your faucet drips more often, your water bill is going to go up. The US Geological Study has a useful tool you can use to calculate how much water is wasted in your home based on the number of drips per minute.
What Causes a Faucet to Leak
In most cases, damaged parts are the cause of faucet leaks. As the appliances and parts in a home age, they begin to deteriorate and get damaged. Here are common parts of a faucet that can deteriorate and result in a leak:
- Valve seat
- Faucet cartridge
Fixing a Leaky Faucet
When you discover a leaky faucet, save yourself the hassle and the money and get it fixed sooner rather than later. Here’s a few things you can do at home to fix a leaky faucet.
- Turn off the water. This can either be done at the valve under the sink or by turning off the water to your home. Turn the faucet on to let any remaining water in the pipe drain into the sink until the water stops flowing.
- Take off the faucet handle. This can be done by using a screwdriver or Allen wrench.
- Check the parts. This includes the faucet cartridge and the O-rings. Any pieces that are worn or damaged will need to be replaced.
- Replace the faulty part. A new faucet cartridge or O-ring can be installed.
- Put the faucet handle back on. Once everything has been reattached, turn the water back on to test your new faucet.
If you feel uncomfortable with any of these steps or think the leak is more serious, you should call a professional plumber to have a look at it.
Repair the Leak With Help From the Experts
Handling a leaky bathroom or kitchen faucet can be a challenge if you don’t have the right tools. When you need help or want expert advice on how to handle your leaky faucet, call the professional plumbers at HARP Home Services.
For over 25 years, HARP has been the trusted local plumbers in Connecticut, providing plumbing repair and replacement services. Don’t let a leaky faucet cost you. With 24/7 emergency services, you can get your leaky faucet repaired quickly. We provide upfront pricing and no emergency fees so you have peace of mind when you need it most.